Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Senses

Senses

I sit quietly within a forest clearing.
My eyes are closed like someone sight deprived.
I hear the whistles, tweets, and chatters.
Water tumbling in the creek.
Wind speaking through the trees.
A cone crashing through the branches,
a dull thud when it lands.
Thunder rumbling, and in the distance,
Abbey Bells.

How much more I hear when my eyes are closed.
Sounds that are so beautiful,
sounds that tell a story.
Each with a different voice.
Try it sometime when you have little else to do.

Imagine that your hearing is your only sense.
There is so much to be learned, my friends,
from the sounds around us.
Sight, though itself a gift
can dull the sense of hearing,
the sense of smell,
and the gentle sense of touch.
Try each alone without the aid of all the others.
You'll be surprised, I think,
by the power of each and every sense.
Take not any one for granted.
Use them all, together and separated,
appreciate the wondrous miracle of senses.

Ah, what is this vibration in my finger tips?
'Tis, I believe, the distant Abbey Bells I feel.

Vi Jones
©April 6, 2005

4 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Ah Vi! For now, as I take quiet, contemplative time within the Abbey Walls, I am happy to hear the world through your ears. Those Abbey Bells have the power to draw pilgrims from all parts of the world.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Senses, sensing, sensitive
She feels the earth much clearly
More feelingly, more sensibility
Than most
Through her words I hear the pine
Smell the water, bright dancing the wind
Close my eyes and remember

Braille on my finger tips
The Abby bells . . .

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger jane said...

So glad you reminded me Vi. Sitting comfortably in the corner of my yard, eyes closed, listening, I feel like I have a balcony seat in a magnificent concert hall listening to the most beautiful music in the world. Even the siren in the distance and the abrasive horn near by, the dog bark and the children laughing, combine to form a one of a tme composition. Now to go out to the Abbey garden this afternoon, and see what piece of music is playing there.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

I will be right over, Ebony, for mudcake, strawberries, and some animated conversation across the kitchen table.
Vi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home