Friday, February 11, 2005

Moving in -- Day Two

I awoke this morning, after a peaceful night's rest, and fed Tookey and Oreo the food I had brought with me. I'm unsure of where I'll be able to purchase more, and I have only one week's worth for each. The area around the Abbey seemed empty and desolate as I drove in yesterday and the last town I passed through had to be at least an hour away.

Wondering what I was supposed to do about my own breakfast, I ventured out of my room and nearly tripped over a tray that had been left for me. I caught a lovely whiff of orange spice tea as I lifted it and carried it back into my room. It was too large for my writing desk so I used my solitary chair as a table and sat again on the remarkably comfortable bed. Fresh toast, still warm and riddled with the yeasty pock marks of home made bread sat in a vine basket waiting to be slathered with butter and dolloped with apricot preserves. I dug right in while I read the note from Heather which she'd tucked beneath the bread basket. " Welcome to Lemurian Abbey. Enjoy your breakfast and please begin your projects as soon as you have finished. Although there are others here, I would prefer that you remain solitary and silent for at least the first week. To that end, your meals will be delivered and the empty tray will be removed if you just leave it outside your door. The Abbey is large and confusing to navigate. I've enclosed a map showing only the small portion of the monastery that is presently open to you. You may walk through the halls, and of course, use the showers and facilities, however most of the doors you pass will be locked. Even the windows are placed high so that you won't be tempted by distractions. Feel free to let Oreo roam whenever he chooses, he'll be perfectly safe. And don't worry if Tookey gets raucous, the stone walls are thick and forgiving. Heather--P.S. There's a gift waiting for you in honor of your St. Francis project. I hope you like it."

I had no idea what she meant by gift; it was only later when I placed the tray in the hall that I found the package, a pair of sandals and a brown robe similar to the one worn by St. Francis and his followers.

2 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Dear Barbara
I am so pleased you have settled in and found not only breakfast but that special gift. By now you will have heard movement throughout the abbey as people move in and settle themselves.
love Heather
PS. Your email is currently bouncing. Could you contact me via email so that I know I can reach you.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Believer said...

I just sent you a progress e-mail. I hope you get it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home